Monday, December 12, 2011

Life-Saving Meds vs Side-Effects ....

From BBC News ...
Breast cancer patients 'stop drugs' due to side-effects



About a third of breast cancer patients stop taking medication because side-effects are more severe than they expect, US researchers suggest.

The Northwestern University team questioned 686 women who were taking aromatase inhibitors as treatment for oestrogen-sensitive breast cancer.  It found 36% stopped their medication because of symptoms such as joint pain, hot flushes, weight gain and nausea.

- snip -

Aromatase inhibitors are given to postmenopausal breast cancer patients to reduce the level of oestrogen in those whose tumours were fuelled by the hormone.  About two-thirds of breast cancers are oestrogen-sensitive, and aromatase inhibitors have been shown to reduce the risk of cancer recurring. 

Information gap
 
Patients in the Northwestern University study filled out a 46-question survey rating their quality of life and symptoms associated with breast cancer and treatment.  They were asked about their symptoms before treatment and at three, six, 12 and 24 months after starting treatment. 

After three months, a third of women had severe joint pain, 28% had hot flushes and 24% had decreased libido among a range of symptoms.  The longer women were being treated, the more reported side-effects.

Those at highest risk of stopping before the recommended five years were those still experiencing side-effects from chemo or radiotherapy.  As a result of the side effects, 10% of the women had stopped taking the drug within two years. A further 26% had stopped by four years.

- More at the above link - 

Hot Flashes

I've already written here on my blog about the hot flashes.  They can be pretty severe; far worse than my menopausal hot flashes.  Luckily, it's cold outside & I keep a nice size crack in the window.  The kids come into my room & complain about the cold.  Once in a while I feel the cold & am amazed at my tolerance level for it.  I don't know how I'll handle the heat & humidity of next summer.   It does worry me.  Yet, something else worries me.  It seems the hot flashes are less frequent.  The doc says having them is a sign the drug is working; I'm petrified having less frequent hot flashes means the drug isn't as effective.

Pain
 
I was in an accident about 10 years ago that left me in constant pain.  I decided to stop taking the narcotics & just use Ibuprofen & Baclofen (for spasms).  All this accomplished was drastic weight gain, & becoming immobile.  I could not function due to the pain.  I had a stool in the kitchen just so I could sit to cook, do dishes, or even to make a cup of coffee.  After walking a few feet, I'd double over in pain.  Literally - and worse than this cartoon lady.  



Well, I am back on Vicoden, and can now function with limits.  I think there are those who make people like me feel uncomfortable about taking narcotics, but they are available for a reason, & if you need it, then you should take it.  Don't ruin your quality of life over some perceived guilt of addiction.  

My oncologist prescribed an aromatase inhibitor for my treatment of estrogen-sensitive breast cancer.  Remember I am post-menopausal, & have metastatic breast cancer.  The surgeon can't safely remove my baseball size tumor, & since my cancer is incurable, the doc canceled the originally prescribed chemotherapy & started me on Arimedex  (Anastrozole).

Today I take my 77th dose of Arimedex (yea, I keep track of each tablet, just so I don't forget to take this tiny life saving pill!) .  Besides those horrible hot flashes, I am in a lot of pain.  Lots of throbbing joint pain.  Even with Ibuprofen & Vicoden!  If I was feeling terrible pain while taking Vicoden, then good grief, how bad is this pain?  It's pretty bad.  I increased my Vicoden which helped.  My primary care physician increased my monthly quantity, as well as increasing the prescription to extra strength.  It has helped.  I also am making sure I take the Baclofen on a regular basis, & that seems to help, too.

Education

It seems to me that oncologists need to listen to their patients, & offer the pain medications if their patient's are suffering.  This drug is a life saving medication.  Which is worse?  A possible addiction or death?  My primary care doc understood.  She & my oncologist said pain was the primary complaint with this drug.

Maybe, too, an explanation on what to expect from this drug should be a part of the patient's treatment.  For me, a cold pack on the back of my neck helps, along with chewing on ice chips, and of course the nice crack in the wintery window.

So ...
 
My latest issue are the hives.  I'm not sure if it's the drug or something else, but the hives are itchy, in various places, and it's no fun!  
Anyway, the above article saddens me.  I don't know if the women who stopped taking their medication had other options; I sure hope so.  I can't imagine stopping a life-saving medication when the other drugs out there can be just as bad, if not worse.  

Hugs to all of us doing our best to stay alive.



3 comments:

Craig said...

***Sigh*** so much is hitting you, Denise. Use your friends. Whatever you need.

Craig

Anonymous said...

Denise, you have such an excellent attitude and sense of humor. Please know that your friends are pulling for you.

A great big hug.

Sheila

Valerie said...

I had no idea that pain was a side effect of that type of therapy! You are so brave to plug away like this. I feel like I would just be overwhelmed by it all, but I guess we do what we have to do.