Thursday, April 26, 2012

From The Mayo Clinic ....


Illustration comparing tumor sizes

Tumor size

One piece of information that helps determine your breast cancer stage is the size of the tumor in your breast. Doctors measure tumors in centimeters (cm). It might help to think of everyday objects as you visualize the size of your cancer. For instance, early-stage tumors may be no more than 2 cm, or about 3/4 inch, in diameter — about the size of a pea or a shelled peanut. 

The surgeon said my tumor was too large to safely remove.  Said it was the size of a baseball.  An official MLB baseball's circumference is not less than 9 inches and no more than 9 1/4 inches, or converting 9 inches would equal about 22.9 centimeters (1" = 2.54 centimeters or, 9 inches multiplied by 2.54 = 22.9 centimeters.)  That's pretty big, no wonder it didn't make it onto the above chart.  I imagine it's also a pretty rare size.  Leave it to me to be different.



Illustration of cancer spreading from breast to lung and liver

Stage IV breast cancer

Stage IV is the most advanced form of breast cancer. At this stage, breast cancer cells have spread to other areas of your body. Breast cancer most often spreads to the bones, brain, liver and lungs. Stage IV breast cancer is also called metastatic breast cancer.

Since they don't pertain to me, I'm bypassing the other stages.  I encourage everyone to check it out, though.  It's good to be informed.  My oncologist warned me to be careful of what I read on the internet.  The Mayo Clinic is one source she recommended.

Anyway, my cancer is spread all over the place.  First of all, one of the first things I've learned that if they find cancer in your hip bone - that cancer is breast cancer, not bone cancer.  If it's found in your lungs, it's still breast cancer, not lung cancer.  I'm sorry to say I have breast cancer in my hip & my lungs & a whole bunch of other places & bones.  My liver, though, is breast cancer free!  Woo Hoo!  Let's bake a cake!

That's it for now.  


 
Dietitian's tip: Mashed bananas and cooked oats help keep these pancakes moist and flavorful. If you don't like syrup, warm some sliced bananas in a frying pan with a small amount of butter or oil and spoon them on top.
By Mayo Clinic staff
Serves 6

Ingredients

    • 1/2 cup maple syrup
    • 1/2 cinnamon stick
    • 3 whole cloves
    • 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
    • 1 cup water
    • 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
    • 2 tablespoons canola oil
    • 1/2 cup whole-wheat (whole-meal) flour
    • 1/2 cup all-purpose (plain) flour
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1/2 cup 1 percent low-fat milk
    • 1/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
    • 1 banana, peeled and mashed
    • 1 egg, lightly beaten

Directions

In a small saucepan, combine the maple syrup, cinnamon stick and cloves. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let steep for 15 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick and cloves with a slotted spoon. Set the syrup aside and keep warm.
In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the oats and water. Microwave on high until the oats are creamy and tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in the brown sugar and canola oil. Set aside to cool slightly. 

In a bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground cinnamon. Whisk to blend. 

Add the milk, yogurt and banana to the oats and stir until well blended. Beat in the egg. Add the flour mixture to the oat mixture and stir just until moistened.

Place a nonstick frying pan or griddle over medium heat. When a drop of water sizzles as it hits the pan, spoon 1/4 cup pancake batter into the pan. Cook until the top surface of the pancake is covered with bubbles and the edges are lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Turn and cook until the bottom is well browned and the pancake is cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Repeat with the remaining pancake batter.

Place the pancakes on warmed individual plates. Drizzle with the warm syrup and serve immediately.

Nutritional analysis per serving

Serving size: 3 pancakes
Calories271 Sodium243 mg
Total fat7 g Total carbohydrate49 g
Saturated fat1 g Dietary fiber3 g
Monounsaturated fat4 g Protein6 g
Cholesterol32 mg
 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

… Unbelievable , but I just found software which can do all hard work promoting your boobiebloos.blogspot.com website on complete autopilot - building backlinks and getting your website on top of Google and other search engines 1st pages, so your site finally can get laser targeted qualified traffic, and so you can get lot more visitors for your website.

YEP, that’s right, there’s this little known website which shows you how to get to the top 10 of Google and other search engines guaranteed.

I used it and in just 7 days… got floods of traffic to my site...

…Well check out the incredible results for yourself -
http://autopilot-traffic-software.com

I’m not trying to be rude here, but I believe when you find something that finally works you should share it…

…so that’s what I’m doing today, sharing it with you:

http://autopilot-traffic-software.com

Take care - your friend George

Anonymous said...

order diazepam buy valium online from uk - valium side effects in the elderly

Anonymous said...

I have been exploring for a little bit fоr any high quality aгticles or blog posts in this sort of аrеa .
Eхρloring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled upon this web site.
Reading this info Ѕo i am glaԁ to exhibit that I have an іncrеdibly just
right uncanny feеling I founԁ out just what I nеeded.
I so much ԁefinіtelу ωill make ѕure to don?
t οmit thiѕ wеb site and pгоѵіdes it
а glаnce гegularly.

Here is my website: Cheap Car Insurance